Monday, July 20, 2009

The Tallest Man On Earth

The Tallest Man On Earth is the folk musician Kristian Matsson, from Sweden! He played at Haverford in March or April (I don't remember), and María and Melissa and Liz and I all went to see him. It turns out he is not actually anywhere near being the tallest man on earth, but whatever. I think the name is kind of cute. Basically he sings adorable folk songs and sounds exactly like Bob Dylan.


My favorite song from his full-length album Shallow Grave is "The Gardener." The first time I listened to the album, I wasn't really paying attention to all of the lyrics, so I really only heard the tune of "The Gardener" and the end of the chorus where he sings, so I could stay the tallest man/ in your eyes, babe. I thought it was really cute, because obviously he is doing all sorts of things because he wants the person he is singing to to like him!

Well, it turns out that when you listen to the rest of the song, he is killing people and burying them in a garden and growing flowers on top of their graves. Fine. María will definitely have some snide comment to make about how my favorite song is sung from the point of view of a serial killer, but it is still my favorite! The sentiment of the end part of the chorus that I first fell in love with is still the same even with the serial killer stuff, and it's the thought that counts!

Love, Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment