Friday, June 19, 2009

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp and Clapping

One of my favorite songs ever that people make fun of me for listening to because it is slightly country-sounding is Led Zeppelin's "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp." It is super cute! Robert Plant wrote it about his dog, and the lyrics are all basically about running around in the countryside with man's best friend. It's the perfect summer activity! I'd try it with Chelsea, except she'd see a rabbit or lizard or something and start chasing it and then I would never see her again.

This song is also adorable because they wrote it in Bron-Yr-Aur, a cottage in Wales where they wrote most of Led Zeppelin III. Fun fact: the song was supposed to be called "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" after the cottage, but it was misspelled on the album cover. Anyway, cottages are cute in general, and this one is no exception!

Bron-Yr-Aur in Gwynedd, Wales

Another reason why this song is cute is because of the reason that I first heard it: clapping! About halfway through high school, my friend Hannah and I got our driver's licenses and since each of our moms has a Prius, we would take one and go on these really long drives to all these cool woodsy places (during the day) and creepy places (at night) that we didn't know existed before. Of course, we needed a soundtrack, and so we decided to make a CD. The rule was that every song had to have clapping in it, because clapping instantly adds adorableness to any song (we called the CD The Clap, which was my mom's idea). Hannah had "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" and put it on the CD, and I have loved it ever since!

But mostly I am writing because I need to avoid my birthday present that MarĂ­a sent me. The UPS man brought it to me yesterday, but I can't open it for two more days and it is basically staring at me and saying "Open me! I am probably adorable!"

Love, Jillian

2 comments:

  1. Since The Clap, I have started another clap compilation. As you know, I share your love for clapping in songs. I feel that it adds legitimacy to any song, really. (EVEN My Humps, from your last compilation.) It's 35 tracks long and counting. I will burn one for you for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did we have that on there?! I don't even remember. I know we had "Hollaback Girl" on it for sure.

    ReplyDelete