Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Au Revoir Simone


I've wanted to write this post for a really long time now. Unfortunately, a million other things have gotten in the way. I finally decided to take a break from figuring out my life to actually write this.

Au Revoir Simone is Erika Forster, Annie Hart, and Heather D'Angelo. There's a story about how they got together that involves trains and all sorts of cuteness. Unfortunately, that story isn't true. Their name comes from this scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. And basically they're 3 adorable girls that make music with a bunch of keyboards. They're so cute that they were in the latest Anthropologie catalog!



I've loved Au Revoir Simone for a really long time. Maybe it's because I wish I had their hair/clothes/voices, maybe not. I think one of the very first things I heard by them was their cover of "Oh! You Pretty Things" and it's still one of my very favorite covers. Yeah, I sort of hated Reverse Migration and only kept one of the remixes on my computer, but I still wanted to hear more from them! The Bird of Music is still on my computer. And even though it's full of dreamy-almost-sleepy songs and then dancey-almost-whiney ones, I listened to it over and over for months. I also really loved the video they made for "Sad Song"


Their new album leaked a while ago but it took me forever to get around to listening to it. It's full of the same dreamy pop that they like to do. I think Verses of Comfort, Assurance & Salvation will just always be my favorite album, but this is definitely better than their last album. "Organized Scenery" is definitely my personal favorite, but there are other really good songs. "Only You Can Make You Happy" and "Another Likely Story" are those in between songs that I think Au Revoir Simone do so well. They aren't as upbeat as "Anywhere You Looked" but they're almost there. Overall, I really like Still Night, Still Light. I listened to it nonstop for a couple of days and I'm sure I'll be doing that again soon.

Love, MarĂ­a

2 comments: