Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Don't Really Love You Anymore

Anyone who has looked at my Last.fm page lately can see that I have been absolutely obsessed with "I Don't Really Love You Anymore" from the Magnetic Fields' album I. Back when I first started listening to the Magnetic Fields, I realized that I was too poor to buy all of their albums, and so I just picked a few. One of the albums I didn't buy was I, and I don't know what I was thinking!

Ever since I finally got I last Friday, I have been in love. "I Don't Really Love You Anymore" is just so adorable and perfect and heartbreaking and wonderful! Here is a video of them performing a slowed-down version of "I Don't Really Love You Anymore" in Cambridge in 2004:



I just cannot get over how precious and perfect the lyrics are! I want to write about all of them, because I am having a really hard time picking my favorite lines. But if I absolutely have to pick which lines are the best, I would say that the part where he sings, Because I am a gentleman,/ think of me as just your fan/ who remembers every dress you ever wore, is the most precious thing I have ever heard in my entire life!

I know for a fact that no boy I have ever dated remembers every dress I ever wore, or even remembers more than one or two dresses I ever wore. I also know there are are boys who probably do remember every dress I ever wore, and those are never the ones I date! This is probably because I know that they are too perfect and dating them would make me feel the same combination of adorableness and heartbreaking-ness that this song does (that is way too much emotion for MarĂ­a or me to handle). Obviously there are life-lessons to be learned from this song!

I can't write this post without also including the part that goes, 'Cause I've read your horoscope/ and now I've given up all hope./ So I don't really love you anymore, because I totally read the horoscopes of boys I like and I thought that I was the only one weird enough to do that. I have ten minutes left now before my ridiculously hard Italian class (the other one I am taking is really easy), and I will probably spend it sitting in the cafe and listening to "I Don't Really Love You Anymore" over and over until then.

Love, Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment